Pages

Looking for Love?

May 17, 2009

Books, Authors & A Tag !

Alright, Another 'famous-by-now' tag torchure for me. But, as i menioned here in point no.3 of the post, reading books is one of my passions and hence, i felt kicked doing it. Let's see I can make through this one or not :P

1) What author do you own the most books by?

Dan Brown, Khalil Gibran, Sidney Sheldon. (On the other hand, at one point of time i owned more than 75 comics of Super Commando Dhruv and Nagraaj ala Raj Comics :D)

2) What book do you own the most copies of?

The Da Vinci Code, by Dan Brown. I have an original copy, a pirated copy, a print out copy(taken from office,hence adding to my CTC) and an e-book. So, total 4 copies.


3) Did it bother you that both those questions ended with prepositions?

Did you bother reading the answers of the previous questions :P . Move on, Man!


4) What fictional character are you secretly in love with?

Ah, that would be a really long list. Ok, let me try and answer a few :

- Atticus Flinch and Scout Flich, To kill a MockingBird By Harper Lee(I can't choose any one of them, so both of the above as mentioned)
- Yossarian, Catch-22 By Joseph Heller (The most satirical character I have ever read!)
- Harry Potter, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone By J.K.Rowling (reading it for the first time was an exhilarating experience!)
- Robert Langdon, Angels and Demons and The Da Vinci Code By Dan Brown.(Just for the sheer intensity and mystery, his personality is evolved over the two novels)
- Balram halwai, The white tiger by Arvind Adiga (One of the best Booker's prize winner books, most others i couldn't understand well enough :D)
- Dolores, Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov (Arguably, most sexually attractive and interesting character ever written in literature!)

5) What book have you read the most times in your life?

Honestly, No one. I read a book, analyze it for a while and move on from it. Though at certain times, i have read portions of Harry Potter Books again while continuing and completing the whole series.

6) What was your favorite book when you were ten years old?

None. I was too much in love with comics at that time. You name it, and i was reading it. Diamond comics, Raj Comics, Tulsi Comics, Manoj Comics, Champak, Nandan, Chanda-mama and really the list is endless.

7) What is the worst book you’ve read in the past year?

Ah, quite a few actually. Let me quickly recollect and list it here...Hmm..

- Everything You Desire by Harshdeep Jolly (Probably the worst campus (IIM-Bangalore) novel i have ever read in my life, actually just read the sentence again and delete the word 'probably')
- Love, life and Dream on by Animesh Verma (Another IITian's romantic love story, actually there was no story, no structure,and pathetic half-baked characters. Must have bribed the Publishers to get it in the market:P)
- Sumthing of a Mocktale by Soma Das (Promoted as the book in a place where Kurta fell in love with jeans (JNU,Delhi), i waited till the end of the story so that either - kurta or Jeans fall off the characters, but nothing happened :D)

8) What is the best book you’ve read in the past year?

Again Difficult to choose one, but let me scribble a few of them...

- Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish by Rashmi Bansal (Inspiring 25 stories of IIM-A graduates who have made it big in today's corporate world)
- How starbucks saved my Life by Michael Gill (A typical yet animated riches-to-rags story of a man who had it all, then lost it all, and found it again!)
- How Opal Mehta got kissed, got wild, and got a life By Kaavya Viswanathan (Even though this book was accused of plagiarism a few years back, still i found it a good and worthy read in spare time)

9) If you could force everyone to read one book, what would it be?


Hmm..Probably two of them..Angels and Demons, and The Da Vinci Code by Dan brown (Probably reading one of them is equiavlent to not doing justice to both of the books)

PS: Damn, the movie Angels and Demons was not released in India on 15 may,2009. I don't want to see a pirated version. So, i am waiting with deep breath.

10) Who deserves to win the next Nobel Prize for literature?

Amitav Ghosh… His language and the narrative is quite impeccable…he’s far ahead of his contemporaries, who all are cashing on in the same topics of corruption, loose morals and generation gaps.His intrinsic way of story telling along with conveying a social message is most impressive. Don't trust me, read Dancing in the combodia, The calcutta chromosome or the Hungry tide. And, you would get the real drift.


11) What book/Comic would you most like to see made into a movie?

Romance - Once upon a time zone by Neelam Mishra
Science-Fiction - Digital Fortress by Dan Brown
Super Hero - Super Commando Dhruv in Raj Comics
Thriller - The associate by John Grashim
Political Drama - Not a Penny More Not a Penny less by Jeffrey Archer

12) What book would you least like to see made into a movie?

- The Da vinci Code by Dan Brown (i know its been done, but i wish they hadn't done it)
- 3 Mistakes of my life by Chetan Bhagat (You don't want another 'Hello' disaster)
- The God of small things by Arundhati Roy (Twice, i left this book uncompleted after reading 100 pages. I couldn't fathom what she was up to. Miracoulosuly, it won the booker's prize)


13) Describe your weirdest dream involving a writer, book, or literary character.

It was when i was in school, class 5 to be precise. I wanted to save delhi by being a super hero such as Super Commando Dhruv (of Raj comics fame). I wanted to have a secret home in the Ridge road forest, roam around in the outer circles of C.P looking for the potential rapists and druggies, have a 6 cm scientist friend named as chootu, have supernatural powers to interact with dogs and cats on the street and have a secret 'commando force' to deal with the thiefs and terrorists. I later realized the impracticality of the dream, and moulded myself to be a normal citizen of Delhi :P

14) What is the most lowbrow book you’ve read as an adult?

You're here by Meenakshi reddy madhvaan (Typical to her Compulsive confessor blog,the book has nothing but Vodka, Gin, tonic and with a high overdose of sex, half-hearted relationships and random rants about loose morality)

15) What is the most difficult book you’ve ever read?

As mentioned in point 12, not counting The god of small things, i found the following books captivating, still at times you would feel you are loosing the grip over the storyline :

- Ulysses by James Joyce
- Harry potter and the Goblet of fire by J.K.Rowling
- Doctors by Erich Segal

PS: Phew, i made it through the torchorous tag....yippieee !
PPS: Ok, I cheated. I removed the last 5 questions from the tag :D

22 comments:

muthu said...

hmhm... i also hated the movie da vinci code though i love every single of dan brown s novels...

the movie neva did justice to the film. it lacked depth.

and you should try ken follet. he is master at weaving stories...

esp the novel - pillars of the earth by ken is my all time fav.

keep reading...

cheers

Mahesh Sindbandge said...

Such a bookish tag it is....:P

I am glad you dint tagged anyone.... :P

Hey man..i am sorry i dint gave the code or so for 3 column template...

This one is fine man......i liked it..

Cheers..:)

The Pink Orchid said...

it had BOOKS written all over it... but i am finally gonna get myself a copy of 'angels and demons'..thanks to this tag..


p.s. new template eh?

Ms.R. said...

I read all four books by Danny boi ;) And all seven of HP series. In fact I got the seventh book the day after its release. :D

Well that was an good leap for a person who hates tags :P Hehehe, but I don't mind. I loved it! :D Shudt have left the last 5 questions!

Hopeless Romantic said...

@muthu

Ya, i agree. DVC as a film lacked depth. I would surely like to read ken follet some day. thanks for letting me know that !

Keep Visting!
Amit

Hopeless Romantic said...

@Mahesh

Dude, I have written earlier also, i never pass tags to anyone. and i just pick tags on my will :)

No worries about the code, i worked it out on my own. Glad u liked it :)

Cheers,
Amit

Hopeless Romantic said...

@TPO

Ya, u should read 'AND', a must read :)

Cheers,
Amit

PS: Ya, i wanted a 3 way template for a long time, was just lazy to go through the whole process.But, finally did it !!

Hopeless Romantic said...

@Ms.R

I have read all DB's novels. I beated u in HP7...i got the book and read it within 24 hours of its release. You loose !!

Thanks for dropping by! U know i lost patience while answering them, i said enough torture, leave last 5 questions !

Cheers!
Amit

PULKIT said...

enjoyed reading ....
following ur blog!
:)

tc god bless!


Pulkit
(http://19goes20.blogspot.com)

Hopeless Romantic said...

@Pulkit

Hey buddy,welcome to my blog ! Thanks for following me..good to cu here!

Enjoy! Have fun!

Would visit u soon !

Cheers!
amit

Crowscious said...

I liked the Opal Mehta book too. It was a bit like Mean Girls but totally Indian. To Kill a Mocking Bird is awesome too. However, not a fan of Amitav Ghosh. Nice list :)

Hopeless Romantic said...

@Crowscious

Opal Mehta is a breezy read though kavya shamelessly plagarized it.Heard that she is coming out with her next book this year.

I don't know whether u have written any of Amitav Ghosh's work. Beacause if you have and then you are saying this, i would say prob u should read more ! :D

Happy Reading!
Amit

Kaddu said...

Heyyyy! So you are also a Harry Potter fan! Cool!
Btw, I just landed on your blog... you write very well! Especially liked your IPL post (the latest one)! :-D
Do chk out mine at "miss_teerious" if you feel like...
Happy blogging!

Smita said...

Aha!!! A tag which I would love to do...what were the questions that u skipped???

If I had my way I wouldn't want any book to be made into a movie :-)

Hopeless Romantic said...

@Kaddu

Hey, i loved the whole HP series, my favorite being the first three in the series. waiting for HP6 movie to hit theaters this july.

Thanks for the compliments! I would surely check out ur blog !

Enjoy,
Amit

Hopeless Romantic said...

@Smita

I agree, same here..i hate books being made into movies :|

The questions which i skipped were like - ur fav short story,ur fav play,ur embarrassing gap in reading etc

U can check the whole tag here at Mayurakshi's blog

http://quirkymon.blogspot.com/2009/05/book-tag.html

Enjoy,
Amit

Anonymous said...

I saw Angels and Demons (not the pirated version :) ) and enjoyed it. Its not a terrific movie but a good one. However, they have changed the story quite a bit. Do not look for the book in the movie and you should enjoy it as well.

Hopeless Romantic said...

@Anonymous

U lucky folks. I am still waiting for the movie to come out here in India :(

They changed the story of The da vinci code too, so i am not surprised that they have done the same for AND as well !

Let me see when i can get hold of it !

Enjoy,
Amit

Satans Darling™ said...

Once upon a time... I used to read... This post just gave me a push to start reading again!

Hopeless Romantic said...

@Ashrita

I hope u get back to reading soon, it just always gives me a push to write more n better ! It really helps!

Happy Reading!
Amit

Anonymous said...

I liked your last line :)

Hopeless Romantic said...

@Anonymous

:D, I hate tags ;)

Thanks,
Amit