Pages

Looking for Love?

May 2, 2010

Movies which have stayed with me - 1


Sometimes you watch certain movies which stay with you all the time. They may be box office failures, but are always close to your heart. They are considered to be way ahead of times; either in terms of issues, emotions or twists. I just thought of writing about such movies, which influenced my thinking in some way or make me chuckle big time. Here is the first list...


It was one of the last few released movies starring Sanjeev Kumar. He portrays a theater artist who meets with an accident in saving his wife (played by Sarika) during one of the rehearsals. He goes blind and the wife begins an extra-marital affair with his best friend and theater group owner (played by Marc Zuber). Sanjeev Kumar comes to know about the affair soon, there by begins a silent journey of revenge which eventually leads to Sarika's murder. The whole 'management' of the crime is startling, though the court room portions are portrayed far from the reality. The re-organization of the crime makes you chuckle even though you know it is not a practical situation. The hounding song sung by the street beggar (played by Ashok Kumar) comes at the most appropriate times in the movies and goes tremendously with the flow of the story. There are lot of questions marks in the movie which has no answer, like - why didn't the husband confronts his wife even once? why he feels so strongly about murdering her and not his partner? But at the end of the film, what is left with you is a brooding performance by Sanjeev Kumar. I consider him as one of the most underplayed and most underestimated actors of the previous generation. This one act is a must watch...

2) Samay (2003):

I am a great fan of serial killers, albeit it requires great story telling and finesse to make one into taut thrillers. Sushmita Sen is in the lead playing a super cop ACP Malvika Chauhan, who has been entrusted with the investigation of a murder of an industrialist. They can't make much progress on the case since there is nothing left behind - no fingerprints, no clue, no tips. Till another murder happens, and then another and it starts becoming a pattern. Reality stuck, and she realise that they are dealing with a dangerous killer - though completely ignorant of his personal vendatta with Malvika. Numerous twists and turns later, the movie ends on a sad and ironic note of deceit and disappointment. Even though there are certain questions unanswered in the end, it is watchable due to sheer honesty of performances from its cast. Like other Bollywood thrillers, it doesn't veer off to any romantic track or slapstick comedy. And that's what makes it so exciting. Do catch this one...


It stars Vinay pathak as a 37 year old simpleton Amar Kaul, who lives with his mother (obsessed of watching TV) in a small apartment. He is unmarried, shy and on the top of it - has a nasty boss in Sourabh Shukla who hardly watches while eating and scolding him. On a routine visit to the doctor, it is revealed that he is suffering from stomach cancer and does not have much time to live by. Thus begins a 'bucket-list' kind of journey where he decides to live his remaining life by completing 10 wishes. An old 'Anand' like concept, but it surely brought a lump in my throat. It is heartbreaking, ironic and humorous in equal proportions. Many interesting characters come across in this journey, some of which stay with you long after you have finished watching it. My personal favourite is the incident with Neha Dhupia, with whom Amar was in love but never confessed. When he meets her, she is married with a beautiful daughter and an ideal husband. But at the end of the day, before leaving her - he confesses love without any words. Excellent cameos by Gaurav Ghera and Ranvir shorey adds to the teary tale and makes you feel the irony of life. A poignant story, which touches all the right chords at the right time in your heart.

4) Gulaal (2009)

Directed by Anurag Kashyap, it is an endlessly fascinating movie about politics and the youth, about love and betrayal, about reform and revenge. It has a solid drama at its core, and a series of excellent performances that by the time you finish the film, it is difficult to decide which is the best one. The second half careens anarchistically into nonsense, character consistency damned for the sake of high drama. It's political drama is a metaphor for the fundamentalist parties like MNS and Shiv Sena. However, there are few over indulgences too...There are some half baked characters like that of Jessie Randhawa and that blue beast dancing across the home all the time. The masterstroke in the movie is its music and brutual lyrics by Piyush Mishra, specially the renovated version of Sarfaroshi ki tamanna or even an current affair update Ranaaji. I'm not even going to enter the film's political flaws here, but it was one of the few films that remained watchable to the very end - even if all we did see was a firecracker fizzle out. You feel the catharsis, you feel the irony and the brutality.


PS: Is there any movie which stayed with you all the time but was a box office failure? Is there any movie which you can watch again and again? Is there any movie which makes you nostalgic or gives you goosebumps every time you watch it? Do share....cheers!

16 comments:

Samadrita said...

Haven't seen Qatl or Gulaal out of your list.But they seem to be interesting enough!
As for my list...it's kinda waaaaaay too big and most of the movies are foreign(not necessarily Hollywood).Will make such a list in the future and post it in my blog :)

mêlée said...

lots and lots! :)

How do we know said...

oh, i love this subject... and have already done a post on it.. with my list, of course! :-)

Hopeless Romantic said...

@ Samadrita

This is just the start (notice the 1 in the title :P), Moreover, the theme of this series is not any movie, but the movie which were good but flopped or didn't work too well at the time of their release. For superhit (and good) movies, i have another series where i pick 7 movies from each decade. But, yes i am looking to write more movies in this series. Do catch out the remaining, links are given in the title.

Happy movie watching!
Amit

Hopeless Romantic said...

@Melee

Do share either here on your blog and let me know. I have read a few long time back on your blog, nothing new in some time.

Cheers,
Amit

Hopeless Romantic said...

@HDWK

good to see you here after a long time, i would love to read if you can provide the link.

Thanks,
Amit

suruchi said...

Hi Amit...
OOOOO I loved Samay too...
And I love a whole lot many more whose names I have forgotten*yup I know I am dumb to say this...smile at my expense yet again*

There was this great Saif Ali Khan n Urmilla movie where he uses her...gets her into prison n then she takes revenge...
I think Ram gopal Verma ke the...very well packaged n damn gripping!

I looooooooooove Andaaz Apna Apna...obviously for it gets me into splits...
I also love Sadma...though it makes me cry everytime:-(
I looooooooooooooooved Lamhe...Anil kapoor n Sridevi starrer...came when I was at school n dreamt of some Kuwarji coming into my life too...

Okay...I better shut up now...this is becoming like a mini post of my own!
Loved your choices...
Always knew you had great taste in friends*hint...judging by me*
Now u show great taste in movies too;-)

Butterfly Thoughts said...

except Samay i havent seen any of the movies.but yes I do remember a movie I saw when I was in class 10.it's Yaad Rakhegi Duniya starring aditya pancholi and a girl whose name I dont remember but she was cute:-) both of them had cancer i believe but the way they fought the odds and stayed together was really what made me loved the movie.no hi fi songs no excess drama just simple acting with a good story. i really liked that movie. nevertheless it was good to read this.

Hopeless Romantic said...

@Suruchi Di

That movie was Ek haseena thi. I loved the climax of that movie when Urmila leads Saif to a dungeon fill of mice. It was produced by RGV but directed by Sriram Raghavan.

Ironically, both Sadma, lamhe and Andaz apna apna were flops at the time they were released. But, over the years they have gained a cult status. I personally love Lamhe and will put it soon in my next list. I guess it was a little too ahead of its times where a younger heroine romances the older hero.

I always had a taste in movies, good or bad - i don't know. I can ramble on and on about movies.

Cheers,
Amit

Hopeless Romantic said...

@ Manisha

The heroine in Yaad rakhegi Duniya was ruksaar. I haven't seen the movie, but i have heard couple of songs on and off types. Seems interesting, may be i can catch up after my MBA ends :P

Love,
Amit

Divaa Divine said...

desvedaniya left me speechless - it was just too wonderful!

Mithe said...

Hi I liked Samay and Dasavadaniyan too.Samay should have been a hit-its a really racy movie:) I recently watched Kabulliwallah and Do Bigah Zameen..(old movies-but really very poignant). I think they are those kind of movies:) And do you remember 'koshish' where Sanjeev Kumar and Jaya Bahaduri(she was not married then)cannot speak? Beautiful movie:)

vicious said...

hii ...dropped in 4 the first time ... n i already quite like this space ..
swades didnt quite do well at the BO , but its a favourite ..
i m sure there are others , but not quite coming 2 my mind ... n ya i loved gulaal ...the images haunt me ...

Hopeless Romantic said...

@Divaa Divine

Yes, it was kind of movie which brings out the ironic moments of life out in open brilliantly.

Thanks for dropping by!

Cheers,
Amit

Hopeless Romantic said...

@Mithe

Oh ya, Samay was awesome, i really liked it. Alas, the director went on to make romantic comedies like Mp3 etc. I loved Do bigha zameen (see my movie list of 1950's and 1960's). I haven't seen Kabulliwallah but songs are too good and have a haunting soul to them.

Koshish is a Gulzaar masterpiece. He has been so actively involved in all Shakespeare plays/stories into hindi movie adaptations, be it Angoor, Koshish or Omkara.

Thanks,
Amit

Hopeless Romantic said...

@Vicious

Swades is one of my favourites too, i think its SRK best performance till date, barring DDLJ and Chak De India. He was unusually restrained as Mohan. Unfortunately, there were too many cinematic liberties, too many songs, too many tear jerking scenes which wears you down by the end of the movie. But it do make some pertinent points about brain drain and that is what so fascinating about it.

Thanks,
Amit