Pages

Looking for Love?

March 3, 2011

Book Review - 10 : I bought the Monk's Ferrari



Author: Ravi Subramanian
Publisher: Rupa Publications


Excited and nervous, a fresher of twenty-three, takes his first career flight from Bangalore to Delhi. He peeps out of the window as the flight takes off-and presto! He sees on the road below, fast fading from his vision-an immaculate bright red Ferrari. Thus, begins the quest of his life... for his own FERRARI.The author provides a step-by-step approach towards begins successful and acquiring one’s own Ferrari. The Ferrari here is not a mere luxury car; it is way worthier than that . . . it is something that even the monks wouldn't want to relinquish.

Let me first confess that i was pleasantly surprised with Ravi Subramanian's first book, If God was a banker. I thought even though it was a little too dry in portions, it knew exactly what kind of readers it was targeting and what milieu it is setting itself into. Within those limitations, it was a breezy and a real good time pass read. So with a decent first impression of the author, i decided to pick his next one. Add to the fact, that i haven't read the self-help type book for close to 4 years now...it was worth a shot.

Having said that, I personally have never been a great fan of self-help books. I guess it is the revolting side of my personality which always pumps me up to live my life the way i want it and not pussyfoot myself based on someone else decisons. It may suit someone (like the writer's personality) but there is no guarantee that it will actually help mine. I also feel self-help books are set in a perfect environment and an ideal world, something which will never happen in practical life.

In IBTMF, Ravi borrows the basic premise from Robin Sharma's best seller - The Monk who sold his Ferrari and try to give it a twist in the Indian context. He give us the ten commandments of success which can make you "successful" in life. Problem arises because it is presented a little too preachy manner and is quite laid back. So even at a short length of 160 odd pages, it never manges to capture your attention.

Also with all due respect, i don't think the writer is such an awe-inspiring personality that i will actually get positively influenced by him. The only saving grace in the book are the few examples provided in the Indian business context specially that of Rajnish Behl, retail head of HSBC Bank.

I am going with 1.5/5 for Ravi Subramanian' second outing, I bought the Monk's Ferrari. I have read much well-written and inspiring self-help books. You can safely skip this one. And as far as the writer is concerned, get back to fiction writing, it really suits you much better.

2 comments:

Samadrita said...

Hmm I thoroughly second your view of self-help books. They don't suit my tastes either.
Would try to get my hands on Ravi Subramanian's first book.

Amit Gupta said...

@Samadrita

Sure, try the first one. Not a bad fiction book considering the junk which has been thrown at us in recent times.